Too Organic

Here’s what showed up in this week’s produce box:

mushaboom_Fotor

Begging the question, aren’t some things just a little too organic?

These look like the same variety of ick that I’ve been removing from the yard this winter. It’s creepy the way they spring up out of nowhere in large numbers. This smug little guy is trying to get the last laugh too. I opened the box and there he was, “Surprise, it’s me Giant Fungus! I brought all my pals too!” Can you believe it? He’s taunting me.

Don’t get me wrong. I like mushrooms. Especially if they look like this:

fairymushroom

But this:

mushabloom_Fotor

No thanks. I’ll stick with the Cabaret Carrots instead.

One thought on “Too Organic

1. January 31, 2014 at 7:20 am

Wow, now that’s earthy! I think I’d chop them up and use them in miso soup. 🙂

• January 31, 2014 at 9:09 am

I’d offer to ship them to you if I knew they would arrive as fresh as they are today. I do love miso…I’ll keep you posted. Thx!

2. January 31, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Alien species or what! Fungi makes me squeemish unless it’s the shape that knomes sit on.

• January 31, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Agree! As a general rule of thumb I try to avoid eating things that sprout from poo.

3. The Editors of Garden Variety
    February 4, 2014 at 7:39 am

Yikes….what an eye opener!

4. February 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

🙂 HL=huge like, Sandra… I could eat mushrooms every day! 🙂

• February 7, 2014 at 7:12 am

Melanie I am so ashamed to report that they went bad before I worked up the courage to try them. If you lived closer I would have gladly shared them with you when they were edible!

5. February 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm

If you get another bunch, spray paint them. They could come in handy for a Halloween costume:)

• February 7, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Ha! Good thinking! I hate it when food goes to waste on my watch.