Dance This Mess Around

Not sure why I'm smiling so aggressively here. Nerves?

Not sure why I’m smiling so aggressively here. Nerves?

A memory inspired by The Daily Post: Daily Prompt-Let’s Dance. In answer to the question, “what are your earliest memories of dance?”

Middle School Gym 1988

Jodi Watley-Looking for a New Love

Boys and girls file in staring at their shoes and instinctually separate. Boys on this side, girls on that side.

Keith Sweat-I Want Her

Several empty dance songs play in succession as the two sides size each other up and work out their butterflies.

Pebbles-Girlfriend

Girls hit the dance floor on this one. Shaking it proud with sideways glances at the boys who are gawking in disbelief.

U2-With or Without You

First slow song drops like a bomb. Girls scurry back to the ladies side of the gym. The alpha of the popular boys singles out his long time girlfriend. They just celebrated their 3 week anniversary! They sway back and forth as a few others couple up and oh so awkwardly embrace each other. The closest physical encounter with the opposite gender ever.

Lisa Lisa Cult Jam-Head to Toe

Gives both sides a chance to exhale and compose themselves as they compare notes on the experience. “He smelled so good,” “His hands went where?!” “He slow dances too fast.” I wonder what the boys were saying.

Debarge-Rhythm of The Night

Restarts the cycle.

Terence Trent Darby-Wishing Well

This one confuses everybody, is it a slow dance or a fast dance? Better wait it out.

Nu Shooz-I Can’t Wait

Brings the girls back out on the dance floor, everybody sings along in unison, “My love, tell me what it’s all about, you got something that I can’t live without…”

Bangles-Eternal Flame

“Last song of the night guys and dolls,” says the DJ, “Grab that special someone!”

No WAY is he looking at me. He’s looking right at me! Oh my GOD here he comes, he’s walking over to me! He holds out his hand and looks my friend right in the eyes before pulling her out onto the dance floor as I rush to the girls bathroom to cry it out.

One thought on “Dance This Mess Around

February 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Oh my goodness, how many times did we call the radio station to get them to play “Eternal Flame” that year? It was always in the “Top 5 at Ten” countdown those nights.

Rocking the acid washed look…totally rad! 🙂

• February 28, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Acid washed baby! Even the oversized glasses are back in. Have you noticed all the cropped tops that are in the department stores? Cringe. Eternal Flame and what was that INXS song…Never Tear Us Apart. Loved those two songs!

2. February 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm

He shoulda picked you, Sandra, obviously a whirlwind of happiness waiting to happen with that big smile and just-right earrings. Nicely posted memory, good cry and all.

• February 28, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Mark, you’re so kind!

3. February 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Great…now which of those songs will I have stuck in my head this weekend

• February 28, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Hey just be thankful I glossed over Shake Your Love and Love Shack! 🙂

• February 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

“Shake Your Love” – I always wondered if Mrs. Gibson was getting a joke over on the listeners with that one.

Trust me we can go toe to toe on the 80’s music. “Cruel Summer”, “Rock The Casbah”, “Don’t You Want Me”, lol

• February 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Oh you’re on Sussudio! Take On Me. Ah ha, see what I did there?

• February 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Who Could It Be Now? Don’t you know you want to Shock The Monkey and Rock Me Amadeus Down Under

4. February 28, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Uncle! 🙂

• February 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Lol

Yah Mo B There!

• February 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Mama say mama sa mamakoosa LOL

• February 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I Know This Much Is True

• February 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Let’s hear it for the boy

• February 28, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

• February 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Never surrender

• February 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night because The Future’s So Bright I’ve Gotta Wear Shades because Everybody Wants To Rule The World with a Mexico Radio.

5. February 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Mexico Radio = Mexican Radio

• February 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I wish I was in tiajuana eatin BBQ iguana as 99 red balloons go by. Turning japanese I think I’m turning japanese I really think so…

• February 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I’m impressed 🙂

We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue when The Tide Is High

• March 1, 2014 at 6:13 am

Ditto! I knew it was on when you threw down Ya mo B there. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

6. March 1, 2014 at 6:19 am

Lol! up next was “I’ll Tumble For Ya” but no one wants to go there

• March 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm

LOL! I had my finger on the trigger of Mr. Roboto. This round goes to you with Ya Mo Be There.

7. June 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Wow- the memories this brought back! I was always the wild one that wouldn’t wait to be asked and scared the boys. There were two reliable ones that went with it. I stayed friends with them for a long time. They should have thanked me– they were the only boys who could brag the girl dragged them to the floor 🙂

• June 18, 2014 at 5:19 am

I love it! Where were you when I was in school? You would have made these awkward years so much more fun! xoxo

• June 18, 2014 at 6:29 am

I am in the last year of my thirties— I didn’t know I could access those old memories as I am entering the dreaded 40’s 🙂 The older I get, the younger 70 sounds! I need some ideas of what to do as a countdown to my birthday. Any ideas amiga? This is definitely not a bucket list since I don’t plan on kicking it soon 🙂 Can’t wait to hear your ideas 🙂

• June 18, 2014 at 7:40 am

Estimada Estelita, I was born in 75, you too? Are you thinking along the lines of a 40 before 40 type of countdown? LIke the 12 days of xmas? I love it!

• June 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I’m from 1974 and only have four months to go. I’m an HR Manager and it still seems strange when I see new hires that were born the same year as some of my kids 🙂

8. June 18, 2014 at 6:32 am

I was in my awkward years a long time….it took a long time to grow into these teeth and ears. I am still waiting for that last growth spurt. Should be along any day now. I find it hard to believe that you have not been a beautiful swan all your years 🙂 If you weren’t, all those early blooming swans are surely wishing they hadn’t peaked so soon!

• June 18, 2014 at 7:45 am

You are a sweet beauty! Nothing awkward about you as far as I can tell! You’re such a kind friend.

I had some crazy hair on top of my head, a horrendous overbite (which has mellowed into just an ordinary overbite), and giant 80s glasses. A vision only a mother could love. I think with age comes a confidence that only time and wrinkles can inspire. And a who-gives-a-damn attitude doesn’t hurt either.