Something Light with Extra Butter

pickerimage (20)

Oliva loves sharing popcorn with her abuelita

Thanks for sticking with me through that heavy post last week. Although it was difficult to write, it made me appreciate this little space that much more because it seems I have somehow managed to recruit the best of the best as far as subscribers go. A gentle lot of kind-hearted people. But I did promise something light so before I carry on too much about my affection for you all and whip up a fresh batch of tears let’s get to the lighter side of this post already. But thanks again for sticking with me!

A few recent WordPress encounters got me thinking about music and movies:

• Blogged Artistry and I got into a Thunderdome style 80’s music face-off in the comment thread of my Dance This Mess Around post.
  • Christopher threw down his 15 favorite albums of all time. Bold. Very bold.
  • And Alex crafts these great movie trivia posts that I frequently flunk but I keep playing along because I’m on a roll.

All of these events made me wonder what a list of favorite soundtracks might look like. Then I thought about you dear readers and wondered what your list of favorite soundtracks would look like. So here’s my post that I hope will become our post on music at the movies. I’ll go first:

1) Pretty in Pink

Maybe the best depiction of teenage love and friendship. When Andie says, “I just want them to know that they didn’t break me.” That’s the heart of the movie.

Favorite song: If you leave-OMD

2)ย Rattle and Hum

A lot of people didn’t care for the movie but I didn’t think it was terrible. It’s not my favorite rock documentary (that would be: The End Of The Century: The Story of the Ramones) But as a fan of 80’s U2 and this album in particular, it made my short list.

Favorite song: Love Rescue Me

3)ย Magnolia

“Donnie, you got struck by lightning last summer you were on vacation in Tahoe, I don’t think braces is a good idea.” A great cast includes: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, John C. Rielly, and William H. Macy. Beautiful soundtrack mostly done by Aimee Mann

Favorite song: Wise Up-Aimee Mann

4) Singles

A Cameron Crow film. What became of the Breakfast Club if they grew up and moved to Seattle together. Both movies are favorites but I like this soundtrack better.

Favorite song: State of Love and Trust-Pearl Jam
Honorable mention: Dyslexic Heart-Paul Westerberg

5) Pulp Fiction

Unforgettable. I didn’t like it the first time I saw it. But it stuck with me. It’s pieced together like a comic book and through that lens I was able to watch it again and loved it.

Favorite song: Flowers On The Wall-The Statler Brothers

So many others but I wanted to narrow it down to a handful of standouts.

How about you? Do you have a collection of favorite movie soundtracks?

One thought on “Something Light with Extra Butter

March 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

The Ramones and Rock & Roll High School soundtrack

The soundtracks to Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Volume 1, and Reservoir Dogs

And now I am drawing a blank. I may have to come back to this in a little bit ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 10, 2014 at 10:46 am

Nice picks Sheena!

• NotAPunkRocker
        March 11, 2014 at 6:08 am

Driving home, I remembered Purple Rain ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 11, 2014 at 6:27 am

Yes! Great choice! “This is what it sounds like when doves cry…”

2. March 10, 2014 at 10:40 am

I know I bought a few movie soundtracks, but none have stuck with me through the years. I do have a few favorite TV show soundtracks: Scrubs and Buffy (shows I watched) as well as Dawson’s Creek (which I did not). Many years later, even thinking of these soundtracks makes me happy

• March 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m so glad to hear that! Yes, happy is good. Big day is coming up soon, isn’t it?

• March 11, 2014 at 7:01 am

It is! Just a couple more weeks and we should be a family of four, or five if you count our dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 11, 2014 at 7:37 am

So excited for you! Looking forward to hearing about it!

3. March 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

OK, Sandra, I must give you this present: the soundtrack to ‘Eddie and the Cruisers,’ from 1983. The band featured in the movie was from the Jersey shore, so they went with a Springsteen and the E Street Band sound. The music was performed by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Favorite cut: ‘The Dark Side.’

• March 10, 2014 at 10:53 am

I love that song! I had that movie on my original list but it didn’t make the final cut because I don’t own the soundtrack. I thought Springsteen and band did the soundtrack? Wow they really nailed that sound, didn’t they.

• March 10, 2014 at 10:56 am

They got it right because Cafferty and his band come form the Jersey shore, too. Perfect poor-man’s choice for the movie soundtrack, Sandra.

• March 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

I got dibs on Mark for trivia night at the pub guys. He’s on my team. Bring Karen. ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I am on your team, Sandra!

• March 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Yay! We’re gonna win this time!

• NotAPunkRocker
      March 11, 2014 at 6:07 am

That was the first movie I remember seeing on HBO. I thought Eddie and the Cruisers was a real band for the longest time.

Of course, I have that song too ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 11, 2014 at 6:20 am

Remember The Five Heartbeats? I thought they were a real group too. Pre Google. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. March 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

Thanks for the shout out, Sandra! Movie soundtracks… hmm… that sounds like a fun task. I have to give you major kudos for your choices. Magnolia is such an incredible film and Aimee Mann’s provisions are dynamic and fit wonderfully.

• March 10, 2014 at 2:37 pm

My pleasure Christopher! I love that the movie and soundtrack (magnolia) compliment each other so well. They both stick with you for a long time.

5. March 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Wow, I am so out of the music scene, I’ll have to listen to some of these.

• March 10, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hi Dora! I’m working on a short post for tomorrow that has an Annette Funicello cameo. Stay tuned. Thanks for visiting!

6. March 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I nominated your blog for the Liebster award! http://thismomgig.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/the-liebster-award/ I love reading your blog! I really identify with some of your heavier stuff from last week. Thanks for writing.

• March 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Kelly, I am honored! Thank you so much. And thank you for letting me know how you felt about my mental health post. It really helps to know I’m not alone.

7. March 10, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link ๐Ÿ™‚ What a great set of songs. I’m humming Pretty in Pink as we speak.

• March 11, 2014 at 6:44 am

Thanks Alex! Love that song too!

8. March 16, 2014 at 12:50 pm

One of my favorite forgotten songs from a forgotten movie is “Over You” from the Tender Mercies soundtrack. Anyone remember thร t one?

• March 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I don’t remember that movie but when I googled it, it sounds an awful lot like Crazy Heart. Did you see that one?

• March 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Tender Mercies…Robert Duval is very good in that. I always meant to have a movie afternoon with a Robert Duval theme: Apocalypse Now followed by Tender Mercies….and you’ll need Tender Mercies after watching Apocalypse Now.

Nice thread, Sandra. ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 26, 2014 at 1:19 am

I like Robert Duval too. Thanks for pausing to comment!

9. April 6, 2014 at 9:26 am

pretty in pink is my first favorite soundtrack!

• April 6, 2014 at 12:35 pm

So many good songs! It’s an easy one to love.