On Bedtime Stories

photo (67)

“You know who my gods are, who I believe in fervently? Herman Melville, Emily Dickinson — she’s probably the top — Mozart, Shakespeare, Keats. These are wonderful gods who have gotten me through the narrow straits of life.” -Maurice Sendak author and illustrator

I adore children’s books. The tactile experience of handling a book, sharing a story, taking in the illustrations, warm snuggles before falling asleep it’s easily a highlight in my daily routine. I don’t mind an e-reader for my own use but when it’s story time with Oliva it has to be a page turner, literally. Anything involving Maurice Sendak’s work is preferable.

Do you like e-readers? Do you have a favorite childhood author/illustrator?

One thought on “On Bedtime Stories

June 3, 2014 at 4:06 am

I think I carried Richard Scarry’s “Year of Very Scarry Stories” everywhere I went as a little kid. Apparently I really liked Lowly Worm and Goldbug. 🙂

• June 3, 2014 at 6:24 am

I have a Lowly Worm figurine somewhere. Oliva has claimed it as her own so it could be anywhere. I’ll have to take a snap of it for you, when I find it. 😉 I love Richard Scarry too!

2. June 3, 2014 at 4:36 am

Such a simple but beautiful illustration.

• June 3, 2014 at 6:26 am

I agree with you Chris, I think the simplicity is what makes it so beautiful.

3. June 3, 2014 at 5:32 am

There was a time I didn’t want anything to do with e-readers. However, many of my blogging pals have self-published on Amazon and that’s the only way I can read their work. I admit it’s convenient having my book with me at all times on my phone. It’s easier to read in bed at night as I have a lit screen to view and I don’t have to keep the lights on just so I can see the page. Still, I find it oddly discomforting that I don’t physically OWN the books.

So I guess I still haven’t decided yet…

• June 3, 2014 at 6:32 am

I’m in the weeds with you on this. I find the convenience of technology appealing but the consumption feels cold. Sure it’s light and portable and yes easy to read in bed. So I think I’m sticking to it when it comes to my choice of fiction but at story time with my daughter it’s gotta be old school style printed word.

4. June 3, 2014 at 6:02 am

I love this picture, and I agree w/ you about kid’s books. At one point, I thought it would be fun to write or illustrate for them. I don’t have an e-reader and don’t see it in the distant future. Like you said, it’s the tactile. I stare at screens all day anyway. I buy a lot of $1-3 books at the used bookstore and go through them and donate them back to the store. Cheap and easy breezy Cover Girl. And no Starbuck’s temptation…

But I do admit it creeps me a bit at church when I bring my Bible and others simply pull their phones out. I guess you digest it however you can. I’m old school. P.S. I still don’t get Emily Dickinson.and all those dashes.

• June 3, 2014 at 6:40 am

You know I am a fan of easy breezy Cover Girl! I like Dickinson’s haphazard approach to writing. She doesn’t always make sense to me either. But that’s art, isn’t it? Do you have a favorite book from your childhood Kerbey? I think my favorites were those Little Golden Books with the gold foil spine. The Little Engine that Could, The Pokey Little Puppy, and anything involving Richard Scarry.

• June 3, 2014 at 7:11 am

I loved The Pokey Little Puppy and Scarry and Shel Silverstein and Where The Wild Things Are. My mom worked in a library, so I could spend hours there at a time. I also had Free To Be You And Me, a maroon album with a storybook included, which was very addictive at a young age. I could still sing all those songs by heart.

5. June 3, 2014 at 6:26 am

I was fortunate enough to not have e-readers as a choice while sitting my darling daughter on my lap for ‘Goodnight Moon.’ Now, still, I choose the true page-turner, Sandra. I am a library-goer for the hard cover of many authors. Next up is Michael Connelly’s latest novel, “The Gods of Guilt.”

6. June 3, 2014 at 7:07 am

No e reader for me. I have tried reading a book on my iPad, but was not the same feeling. I feel comfort holding books and turning pages.

• June 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm

It is comforting and familiar to cradle a real book in your hands, I agree Dora. I wonder how Oliva and your grandkids will prefer to read when they are adults.

7. June 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

This brought forth a memory of a book called “Mr. Pudgins”. I love this book as a kid.

• June 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I don’t remember that one John, I’ll have to look for it. Love the illustrations already though! Thanks!

• June 3, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Oh, sorry about the book cover, I didn’t know that would pop up in your comments section – apologies!

8. June 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

When I was pregnant, my mom bought me a vintage book illustrated by Maurice Sendak called A Hole Is To Dig. It’s made up of quotes from children that define words (e.g. “A brother is to play ball” and such.) It’s totally charming.

9. June 3, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Time to catch up with a Square-One fix. You’re blog is continually filled with tidbits of serenity.