Her Life Was Up In The Air

This little dose of mortality was in my path the other day:
photo 2 (4)
Erik is used to me stopping without warning to take pictures so my actions didn’t phase him, initially. But then I picked up this fallen beauty to get a closer look at her which got him laughing and scratching his head. A bit about the scene upon arrival:

The deceased appears to have expired from natural causes. No evidence of foul play or a struggle. Further inspection reveals a perfectly in tact specimen. The extended position of the flying appendages, or wings, suggest the time of death occurred mid flight.

photo 1 (2)

That must be what it’s like to breathe your last breath mid sentence, mid chew, mid stride. Did you do everything you wanted to do little one? Did you tell all the people you love how much you appreciate them? I hope so. It’s a damn short flight, isn’t it?

One thought on “Her Life Was Up In The Air

1. June 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

Yesterday at the doctor, they put stickers on the bottoms of my feet to send nerve signals to my back to make pain stop. What does that have to do with this? You are making me sad about life being fleeting and bringing my pain back. I’m going to march up to the Northwest and poke your dopamine receptors. In the meantime, here’s some truth: “While some moths suck nectar, others don’t eat at all. The adult Luna moth, for instance, doesn’t even have a mouth. After it emerges from its cocoon, it lives for about a week. Its sole mission in life? To mate and lay eggs.” So Sandra, if you don’t have a mouth to sing or eat, what’s the point, really? That moth’s mission is over. It wasn’t premature death at all. It was like the porridge that Goldilocks chose: just right.

BTW, my coffee is brewing right now, so I will raise a mug to you that we both have mouths!!

• June 19, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Dear friend, it saddens me to hear that you are experiencing such pain. I would never have guessed given that your humor has not suffered. “The adult Luna moth, for instance, doesn’t even have a mouth.” Really? wow! “no mouth to sing or eat with,” now that is truly quite sad. No karaoke? No coffee? No go. I can’t go for that no I…no can do…thank you once again for the insight (you totally get it, you should be SquareOne and I’ll be I Don’t Get It). Take good care pal. I hope the pain subsides, if not let’s meet at that bar on the porch where Tom Cruise is mentoring Johnny Depp on his cocktail technique. xoxo

• June 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm

LOL the doctor seems to be helping. Depp and Cruise will help me out, as well. I would rather be a Luna bar than a Luna mouth at this point.

2. June 19, 2014 at 9:04 am

None of us, or any living thing can escape the end. Yay for Jesus. 🙂

• June 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm

The inevitable end. Now I have that Doors song in my head. Thanks John!

June 19, 2014 at 9:16 am

I love, again, the way you integrate the photographs with the message you are writing. Beautiful work (as always) and a good reminder too :-).

• June 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Thanks sweet pal! I hope you’re having a better day. Thinking of you!

4. June 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

Mi hermana, that you mourn a moth and wonder if it completed its most yearned goals is what makes you a true inspiration.

Erik lives quite the adventure, stopping and starting to take in the sights and sounds of life.

• June 19, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I’m sure he tires of my abrupt starts and stops but he’s a really good sport. You are an inspiration my friend! Your writing style is always warm, well-stated, and thoughtful. You know just what to say in every situation. I admire that gift. I’m glad we’re pals!

• June 19, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Back at you, Sandra. Back at you.

5. June 19, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Well, I thought it was funny, am I being morbid? I have been taking pics of everything as well. I took a pic of a dead snake not to long ago and my granddaughter asked why and I said, ” it might come in handy later on” .

• June 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Well if you’re morbid I am too. 🙂 I love your rationale for taking a pic of a dead snake! That’s always my excuse too! And without fail, those pics do come in handy when it’s story time.

6. June 20, 2014 at 2:03 am

I love your questions for the moth. It does us good to think about such things. 🙂

• June 20, 2014 at 9:19 am

Thank you Deborah! I appreciate you stopping by and saying hello.

7. June 22, 2014 at 4:54 am

Often times the ‘tiniest’ of lives teach us the biggest lessons…beautiful photos and words…thank you for reminding us to appreciate…
    AnnMarie 🙂

• June 23, 2014 at 12:15 am

Thank you Ann, I’m glad you liked it!

8. June 22, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hola amiga 🙂 Mandame un email cuando puedes. Encontre informacion sobre algo que me gustaria comparitr contigo. Te nomine para algo 🙂 I’m at angelyestela@aol.com that’s Estel y Angel (my sweet baboo) 🙂

• June 23, 2014 at 12:26 am

Sweet baboo, claro! Te estoy escribiendo ahora mismo a tu aol acct. xoxo