The Virtues of Vineyards and Dive Bars

My last visit to a winery didn’t end well. You might remember the grand finale found me like so for the better part of a weekend:

When it’s happy hour I reach for one of these normally:

So when friends suggested a drive through a few Amador County vineyards last weekend I wasn’t sure. Meeting for a pint involves a t-shirt, jeans, and the time it takes to scrounge up enough quarters to hijack the jukebox for the duration. Strolling through a vineyard involves a rather lady-like disposition that I don’t carry naturally. I’m not saying I’m completely hopeless but I do feel most comfortable in more casual surroundings. More working class than 1st class establishments, does that make sense? Not that there’s anything wrong with either persuasion but I’m getting away from my story as usual. How about another pic to get us back on track?

imageI’m glad for the friendly suggestion because it was a beautiful day and I managed to sip at a pace that my frame was able to contend with. “No big gulps,” was my quiet mantra that served me well for a change. So this is adulthood? It’s a new pace for me but one I can appreciate. It’s about savoring the moment rather than greedily devouring what’s in front of you in search of that anesthetic finish. I loved Amador county but not enough to walk away from my favorite dive bar jukebox after a long day at work.

imageAt the end of the day I was upright and clear headed! Oh Adulthood, I don’t care what the others say about you. You can be fun sometimes!

imageWhat about you dear reader? Does your beverage of choice come in a tall curvy glass, a tumbler, or a mug? Is it bubbly, hoppy, or earthy? Do you have a go to song on the jukebox? (P.S.: Suspicious Minds and Right Down the Line are already taken.)

One thought on “The Virtues of Vineyards and Dive Bars

June 24, 2014 at 8:51 am

Bubbly in a bottle: Diet cola 🙂

Song: Johnny Be Good!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:04 pm

He could play the guitar like ringing a bell go, go! Go, Johnny go, go!
      I love it my PunkRockSister! One diet coke coming right up.

2. June 24, 2014 at 9:35 am

Coffee in a mug. Song (adapted): I need a coffee, baby, coffee’s what I need…
    Sparkling water in a bottle. Song: It’s fresh, exciting…
    😀

• June 24, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Nice choices Karen, thank you for playing along!

3. June 24, 2014 at 9:41 am

Wine, beer, cocktails, cider—a time and a place for them all. 🙂

• June 24, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Atta girl! Can I cue up a song for you on the jukebox?

4. June 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

I drink wine (of all colors and flavors) but my favorite tends to be Pinot Grigio and Prosecco. I also like liquor. Bourbon specifically. Jukebox song: All I Want For Christmas is You (in the summer).

• June 24, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Sounds delicious! Cheers pal, and your song selection BTW: hilarious! We can definitely grab a drink sometime.

5. June 24, 2014 at 10:51 am

Bud Light Lime is my comfortable drinking buddy, sis. My new pal is California Cabernet Sauvignon, discovered wonderfully with my dear wife Karen in Cape Cod.

Jukebox favorites, oh, there are many. I recall in the 80s popping a dime(!) in at Thursday midnight to play Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend.” Really. A really cool bar box will have Springsteen’s “Tunnel of Love” for a carnival feel. I’ll complete my triple play with Pure Prairie League’s “Aimee” because that one always got the entire bar singing along in my 1976 and 77 Morrisville College upstate New York winters.

FYI, you really do “adulthood trip”-up quite nicely, Sandra. The flower in your hair is a nice wine country touch!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I was apart of a knitting group for several years and occasionally an Amy would join us. Each time I’d have that fantastic song stuck in my head for the duration of our visit. Pure Prairie League is one of my favorite band names of all time. There’s gotta be a story behind that name. Nice choices, Bro! It would be a pleasure to share the jukebox with you some time! In fact the first batch of songs and the first round is on me. 😉

• June 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Let’s sneak off. I won’t tell if you won’t. 😉

• June 24, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Mum’s the word, I’m in!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I pick B-8. You get next song. We alternate until the quarters are gone … Someday, sis, the music will play!

• June 24, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I like that system, hermano! A-3 Piano Man up next. Which reminds me, you’ll have to tell me about that Billy Joel interview before the quarters run out. 😉

• June 24, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Lots of music interviews to talk about, mi hermana.

6. June 24, 2014 at 11:39 am

Shirley Temples
    Song: anything by the Beatles

Thanks for the virtual walk through vineyard and dive bars. I really enjoyed this post!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I like your style CrimsonO! Any Beatles song in particular? My favorite changes often but lately I’ve been into Oh Darlin’. Thank you for your kind feedback!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Oh Darlin’ is such a great song! I like a lot of George’s music. I really think I would choose It’s All Too Much from 1969s Yellow submarine album.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:37 pm

That’s one I’m not familiar with. I googled it and rather like it! Thanks for the recommendation!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

🙂

7. June 24, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I am equal-glass utilizer … if that makes any sense. I’ll be guest bar tending tonight at a local orchard’s distillery: ciders, vodka and gin mixers. Can’t complain about that (aside my not being a “cider guy” I enjoy this stuff.”

As for jukebox songs, I’m the guy who picks long songs to get his “money’s worth.” Led Zeppelin’s cover of “In My Time of Dying,” Umphrey’s McGee’s “Mantis,” and Paul Butterfield”s Blues Band’s “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” are at the top of my list.

• June 24, 2014 at 2:35 pm

A lover of all spirits. The perfect bar tender! Ever try sour beer? I have a pal who brews and it was served up at his wedding. Delicious! Have fun tonight!

• June 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I have tried sour beer, and it is a taste that my taste buds have to get used to. However, I can enjoy just every kind of grog. I’m not a fan of mead either.

I did have fun, though. 🙂

8. Abbi
    June 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I’m a real red wine gal but growing up in South Africa will do that to you. There are times though when nothing beats a cold beer.

• June 25, 2014 at 9:47 am

Wow, didn’t know you grew up in S. Africa. Now I’ve got Toto in my head. “Gonna take a lot to take me away from you…there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do…I bless the rains down in Africa….” I hope you know that song, otherwise I just sound like a crazy lady. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY&feature=kp

• Abbi
        June 25, 2014 at 11:13 am

I do know the song. I’m not sure why people associate it with South Africa though since it’s mostly about the Serengheti! Lol!

• June 25, 2014 at 11:21 am

I do try not to flaunt my ignorance but sometimes it just oozes out of me. Ooops. Sorry ’bout that. You probably get that all too often I suspect.

9. June 24, 2014 at 5:18 pm

My style is more a pint of a dark beer along with some BBQ or other pub grub. After hiking Mt Monadnock on Sunday, the song going through my head is Toby Keith’s “I’m Not As Good As I Once Was” – ha ha ha

• June 25, 2014 at 9:36 am

Right, not as good. Better than good 😉 I can’t hike down the street in the shape I’m in without breaking a sweat. And yet you are rockin and rollin through Mt Monadnock in your free time. I’m impressed.

10. June 25, 2014 at 7:40 am

Well, I think I’ll stick to coffee with some oldies.

• June 25, 2014 at 9:29 am

Cafecito con la canela coming right up Dora! I’ve got some Dee Dee Sharp ready to go too. 😉

11. June 25, 2014 at 8:25 am

I enjoy a tall stemmed glass of the grape occasionally!! I love the effect in your photos. Great work!!

• June 25, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thank you CybeleMoon! I’m warming up to grape in a glass as well. Might throw that in the rotation from time to time.

12. June 27, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Coke in a glass with a lemon and straw. And something by the Bee Gees.

• June 27, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I Started A Joke Bee Gees or something from Sat Night Fever? There is no wrong answer. Just curious. One coke coming right up, Alex my boy!

• June 28, 2014 at 3:15 am

You Win Again is the one I listen to most. But Night Fever, Stayin’ Alive, Alone, Massachusetts, How Deep is your Love…

13. June 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I will drink nearly anything in a cold glass because I am cheap. We just spent 5 days in Myrtle Beach and I thought I would “when in Rome” and drink fruity rum drinks but hot damn, $10 is too much for a drink. So I had a few pints of Landshark beer. Not what I wanted, but I’m thrifty to the core. We did finally break down and have a $15 “booze in a blender” margarita at Margaritaville, but I’m afraid they must have forgot the alcohol. Mojitos are great, but mama loves her wine. No big gulps is a hard one. 🙂 If I’m shooting pool, I want to hear “Lyin’ Eyes” or “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.” I’m the girl who plops $15 in the jukebox and plays an assortment of tunes, assessing the clientele and playing what they might want, whether that’s Whitesnake or Old Hank. I hate it when someone plays an entire album. The Golden Rule, peeps.

• June 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Golden rule is damn right! That needs to be posted somewhere. Not sure which bullet point makes me love u more: a) Lyin’ eyes b) Mary Janes last dance c) the girl who plops $15 in the jukebox…
      Xoxo