On Gardening and Goodbyes

My mom’s breathtaking hen and chicks. The frost claimed a lot of plant life this year; but my mom’s succulents are as beautiful as ever:

hens and chicks

In contrast, here’s what mine are looking like lately:

my hen n chick

Can anyone guess which picture depicts the hen and chicks that attempted to cross the road and landed in the hospital instead? Last rites will likely be given shortly. Say your goodbyes dear friends.

“Roads are no place for naive chickens dreaming of nirvana.”

-Shalom Auslander

One thought on “On Gardening and Goodbyes

1. February 25, 2014 at 6:29 am

I think the chicks just need a good, long bath to become pretty like the hen. Put that one in a fortune cookie, Sandra! Beautiful photo of the prosperous succulents.

• February 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Fortune cookies have been on my mind lately! Drafting a new post soon! Thanks for your comment Mark! I hope you’re right. Rain up ahead.

February 25, 2014 at 6:49 am

Oh, the first picture doesn’t seem real. Gorgeous!

• February 25, 2014 at 7:42 am

Thanks Sheena! All the credit goes to my mom. I don’t know how she does it but her garden is miraculous. I was amazed at how this shot looks like a painting.

3. February 25, 2014 at 8:12 am

Keep trying, that’s how my garden started.

• February 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I may leave the succulents to my mom. I do better with miniature shrubs and ground covers. New pics of what’s in bloom coming soon! Thanks for the encouragement Dora!

4. February 25, 2014 at 11:23 am

Love the quote!!!! Really! 😆

• February 25, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I really do too Ninna! Thanks! Originally wanted to photograph an open road and use it. But was unable to find something that matched the image in my mind.

5. February 28, 2014 at 10:16 am

My sister planted these in our yard when we were little. They looked scrawny, too—until my dad rolled over them with the lawn mower. After that they miraculously grew like gangbusters!

• February 28, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Note taken. I will try mowing them down. They can’t look any worse than they do now.