60’s Siblings

imageMy mother-in-law and her brother

Talking hands? Hula skirt? This needs an explanation. She couldn’t remember. I need your help. You’ve already heard my guesses, what are yours?

One thought on “60’s Siblings

June 4, 2014 at 7:14 am

All the song references I can think of are after the 60s LOL

• June 5, 2014 at 4:58 am

Good thinking! Hand Jive maybe?

2. June 4, 2014 at 7:16 am

How much rain do we need to end this drought?

There’s my best guess, Sandra.

Love the Throwback of your MIL and her bro.

• June 5, 2014 at 5:02 am

A great guess Mark! Still trying to process that you shared real time with Billy Joel. Wow. wow. wow!

3. June 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Have absolutely no idea! Maybe they had seen something on teve

• June 5, 2014 at 5:05 am

I’m stumped too Ninna. The hula skirt looks like it’s made out of tree bark or some other rigid material. Funny.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:06 pm

It’s a pity she doesn’t remember. Tha caps, the hands, the skirt! They must have been up to something!

4. June 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm

This is awesome, Sandra, we should use it in Monday’s post. Feels like a Public Enemy “Fight the Power” vibe, lol. But your MIL is so stylish with her capris and flip flops! And is her bro wearing a helmet? He looks like an early Devo (“Whip It”) member. 🙂

• June 5, 2014 at 5:12 am

Feel free to use it in our post! My MIL is stylish to this day she rocks her pedal pushers and chucks. She’s cute. I think her brother was wearing one of those paper boy hats? The kind with a short bill, they sometimes snap together, you know what I mean? But yes, the Devo reference easily comes to mind, “Crack that Whip!”

5. June 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm

1) He is 14 and showing how tall he was when he discontinued use of candy cigarettes, moving on to Marlboro proper, suggesting that perhaps she do the same, now that she is 12.

2) This is a precursor move to “Walk Like An Egyptian,” which he learned during his Drama production of “Guys and Dolls” (hence, the skirt) earlier in the day.

3) He was about to flash the peace sign, and the camera went off one second early. (This also applies to Little Bunny Foo Foo).

4) He is demonstrating how to steer a car one-handed, specifically the one behind him, which he stole last weekend to go get more smokes and hula skirts from his dealers on the south side.

Liked by 2 people

• June 5, 2014 at 5:17 am

I should have just come directly to you Kerbey after all this is your area of expertise! In fact I’m certain I should be referring to you as Dr. Kerbey, as you have this sort of thing so dialed in. Four very likely possibilities here. The last one made me laugh so hard I peed a little. Note to self: wear depends when corresponding with Kerbey.

• June 5, 2014 at 5:47 am

LOL Welcome to the random peeing club! We are all friends here. Try not to sneeze.

• June 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

I heard that sister!

6. June 9, 2014 at 8:14 am

“I’m a little teapot, short and stout.. . .”

• June 10, 2014 at 7:49 am

I like your thinking! It’s possible. Thank you for venturing a guess!

7. June 16, 2014 at 3:30 am

They are jointly holding a string of dead fish? Rats? Not a hula skirt!

8. June 19, 2014 at 6:03 pm

We would love to post that at toemail if you do not mind? Do you know where it was taken? http://toemail.wordpress.com

• June 19, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Awesome! Certainly. Thank you so much for asking! This is my mother-in-law (Button) and her brother (Buzzy). Downtown Sacramento, CA.

• June 20, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Thanks! Will let you know when it is posted.

9. June 21, 2014 at 8:06 pm

It’s posted now. Thanks so much, we really appreciate it! 🙂

10. June 26, 2014 at 5:52 am

I adore vintage photos like this!

• June 26, 2014 at 5:57 am

I do too! I post them with the hopes of preserving them. When the ink fades away on the originals maybe the cloud versions will remain ageless. Thank you for stopping by!

• June 26, 2014 at 6:03 am

Agreed. Over the years my mom has done a really nice job scanning our family photos and using them for her writing. I’m doubly glad for that, as I get the photos digitally preserved forever associated with her remembrances of her life.